Sunday, December 18, 2005

'twas the week before christmas...


One week from today is Christmas all around the world (well, except Russia...)

I figured going into the Peace Corps that Christmas would be the hardest time of the year for me away from home. I have never in my life spent the time from December 23 to 26 outside of Dover, and this year I am on the other side of the world...

To combat homesickness, I have made it a point to throw myself into the Christmas traditions of Bulgarians, the first thing being a concert put on yesterday by groups from several towns in the area. People got dressed up in Bulgarian national dress, sang national Christmas chants and danced high-energy holiday horos. This photo is of several of my fifth and sixth-grade girls who belong to a dance class in our town. Their horo, though I may be partial, was by far the best.

Anyway, today delightful suprise No. 2 occured...I woke up to a solid 6 inches of white on the ground and a steady downfall of more snow. I took a walk around town, nearly froze to death, took a photo of one of my students and his friend making a snow man and bought some milk for cookie-making.

Now I am holed up in my apartment baking and listening to Christmas music. Ahhh, this is the life.

1 comment:

summer08 said...

You sound happy! When you want to open more gifts....call me..that was fun!! I will send you more money for the phone/computer! I am home all day!!!