Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005

I woke up on the first morning of 2005 in Alison's bedroom in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. We had spent the day before at a hockey game, eating out, eating in, destroying baked goods, banging pots in the street with crazy neighbors, and generally causing a rukus.

Through the months of January and February I was living with my parents and working as a staff writer at the Dover Post. Every week I went to the city offices to copy down all of the deed transfers and the only redeeming factor in this was there was a really hot guy who worked there. That's motivation.

There was tons of snow and tons of cold all winter. Usually I had to pour water on my car door to unfreeze it in the morning, esp. Monday and Tuesday morning when I had to go in extra early. Kelli and I ate at Quiznos or Mama's every other day. Yum.

In March I lost my last grandmother. My grandfather lost his wife of over 60 years.

In April I had a goodbye party. It was weird as three phases of life met at once -- youth, college, and Dover Post era. The last time I drove was April 21. On April 22 my parents dropped me off at the Philadelphia Airport, which was the last time I saw my dad. In Chicago I met the only people I see now who speak English natively. On April 24 we left Chicago for Sofia.

The following week I learned a new alphabet and some Bulgarian food words. On April 31 I met my Bulgarian family and moved to Krichim.

I learned a new way of life. I lived in a household where I could not understand them, nor they understand me. I got really awesome at charades. I made a new family out of 4 other Americans and our teacher. Little by little, I learned a new language.

On May 16 I found out I'd be living in Straldja. On May 17 I met my counterpart Rosie, who has become my guardian. On May 18 she and her husband and friend drove me to Straldja, and I spent the night in my very first "own apartment." On May 19 I met some of my future students. On May 20 I went home to Krichim and for two days we celebrated my birthday with family and other volunteer friends from all over. Kuchek. Wine. A professionally-handmade cake by Atidje's brother.

Through June, the "six of us" spent long sunny days at the pool, meeting for coffee in the center, practicing our Bulgarian and planning our lessons over beers after language class. We went na gosti to eachothers families. We had adventures in Plovdiv.

By the time July came, I could understand my family and they could understand me.

On July 7 we said overly-teary goodbyes to our hostfamiles in the exact same spot where we had met them. That night the Krichim folks went on an odessy through Pazardjik looking for dooners.

On July 8 we went to Sofia to swear-in as Peace Corps volunteers and my director drove there to pick me up. She brought me to my apartment, and I was alone.

For two months I was alone. I saw other volunteers, went home to Krichim, but I was alone. Very much alone.

In September I became a teacher. I'm not a teacher...not educated as a teacher...But I became one. I learned lots of discipline Bulgarian. I learned discipline Bulgarian doesn't work.

I did traveling around Bulgaria. I learned how to keep house. I learned how to cook for myself, how to shop in small and limited shops, and how to find motivation to clean up a mess after a long day of work.

My mom and aunt came. I showed them My Bulgaria...and both got an education. I got a cat that is solely my responsibility.

I had one of the most thankful Thanksgivings of my life because I was with friends and was able to speak in my native tounge. And the best thing is we made it ourselves.

I had a really rough Christmas season...my first away from Delaware. My students became crazier. The weather became much colder. I had none of my Christmas traditions (except for the stocking my mother sent), but eventually came to love Bulgarian traditions. I spent the actual holiday in a Muslim home, but with Muslims that care so much they approximated as closely as possible a Bulgarian Christmas just for me.

I heard The Good News in Bulgarian, and understood it.

I am now a different girl from the one who woke up in Alison's bedroom twelve months ago.

3 comments:

summer08 said...

What an incredible blog entry! Thank you! MOM

Anonymous said...

beautiful.

happy new year.

Maegen said...

props becca. I reckon my problem with long-windedness and my sense of complete detest at the thought of it will keep me from doing a "year in review," but yours was really nice!