Saturday, February 25, 2006

the cleaning of the water filter

So I own a Peace Corps-distributed water filter...It's the one they give even to volunteers in the heart of Africa who have to turn mud into potable water, so it's a good one. You basically fill up the tank of it, plug it in, and then all night it evaporates the water, sends the mist through a charcoal other-substance-removing-filter, and then re-condenses in a pitcher. After four-or-so hours, you have a gallon of super good water.

Today it was time for Becca to clean said filter. The sides of the tank were white with calcium deposits, and the bottom had crusted over with other non-water minerals. Yeah, it was gross.

Becca probably should have done this a month ago...But she didn't, so let's move on.

I heated up some water to mix with this yellow cleaner powder given to me by the PC. As soon as I poured the hot water over the powder, this steam rose that made me cough when I got too near it. I could just about feel it burning my nose and throat and lungs. (Tomorrow I will send an email to the office to see if that is normal...)

As soon as I put the toxic solution in the tank I opened the window and ran out onto my balcony for a breather. When I felt healthy again, I went back in and went about my business.

After several hours, I poured out the solution and wiped off the sides of the tank. The calcium came off beautifully, but the incredibly caustic formula had not so much as loosened the crust on the bottom. I had had no idea what I was up against there...I managed to chip a few pieces off and let me tell you, it is the same strength and consistancy as slate. I mean to say they could repave the roads in town with this stuff. And this, I would have you know, would end up in my system if I didn't filter my water!

Anyway, I am still working on ridding myself of this mineral deposit. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and by the by, they have confirmed bird flu in the area of Burgas...All over town there are signs up to keep your poultry in enclosed places. Becca will be very careful about her contact with the crazy crows who like to flutter around her balcony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY happens to me to, the burning is normal. Maybe you used too much powder, if it stung as much as you said...I dunno.

Maybe you needed to let it sit over night. I think someone told me that their distiller hadn't been cleaned for about 5 months, and everything just wiped right off.

summer08 said...

You certainly will know how to do everything when you return to the states!! MOM

Anonymous said...

water filters are for babies. thats all i have to say.

THAT, and

we have bird flu up here too. maybe newsweek will interview us for one of their stellar exposes.

ohhhh, hollllla Sunday afternoon! the last day of freedom before chaos insues. enjoy yours

*Sarah

Kay Ann Hampson said...

HI BeccA,

Joyce told me she met the Bulgarian skaters at the rink in Newark during a benefit. SMall world. The Turkish girl did a nice job too. Her coloring reminded me of Berin. Please send a snail mail address to Krichim.
bye

Kay Ann Hampson said...

PS.

I enjoy reading these blogs.