Monday, June 27, 2005

Peace Corps: Resort Style

Summer has officially arrived in Bulgaria. It is hot, sunny, and very slow-paced. The "Detsata Na Oolitsata" ("The Street Children", as we have come to call them) ride their bikes all day around town and eat ice cream and go swimming in public pools. They have the childhood that I imagine kids had in the mid-20th century.

We, however, are still in language training. We will be moving to our permanant sites in two weeks, so this has become a mad-dash to learn the language and to get ready to be "camo" (alone). I'm a little nervous, but I know once I get there I'll be fine. It will be nice to be more settled and esablished.

On Thursday and Friday of last week we had hub in Pazardjik, and then Ned (one of my training mates) and I went to the town of Kostenets in the Rila mountains to visit some other trainees. We were there for the weekend, hung out at the pool, and generally relaxed.

Today we have some interviews with Peace Corps big-wigs and language. Tomorrow Ivan wants us to study up at the Krichim pool in the mountains, and we aren't complaining.

No comments: