Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Blog of Thanks

I am thankful I was selected to join the Peace Corps.

I am thankful I was sent to Bulgaria.

I am thankful I have a family that lets me do crazy things like move to Bulgaria.

I am thankful I was placed in Krichim for my training.

I am thankful that my time there introduced me to a family I would never have known otherwise, but now consider very much my own.

I am thankful I was placed with four other volunteers who have become an extension of that non-biological family.

I am thankful that I had a summer that really and profoundly showed me what I am made of.

I am thankful the summer is over.

I am thankful I have a counterpart who considers me a friend.

I am thankful I am able to learn Bulgarian.

I am thankful to have a lot of work. Useful work. Even if it isn't always my *real* job...

I am thankful that I know how to work my oven now.

I am thankful my mom brought me really warm socks from the states. (Man, is it COLD.)

I am thankful that I have internet in my apartment so I can communicate with my families in the states (the Grudzinas, the Buttresses, old old friends...)

But most of all, this Thanksgiving I am thankful that I get to be thankful with other Americans in this far off land...Other Americans who I would be lost here without.

God bless, and Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Maegen said...

Becca, I'm thankful that you were here. There would have been a few disappointed Americans if it hadn't have been for your help! After all is send and done, I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it again, at least, if things stay like they are, and I think they will. Have a great weekend. I hope you made it back to site in one safe piece.