Monday, October 24, 2005

When Worlds Collide

Sorry for the lack of postage, but I have had a very busy week. My mom and her sister were here! And now, as the title of this post might indicate, my two lives (for lack of better lables "My American Life" and "My Bulgarian Life") have met one another.

They arrived on Friday, Oct. 14. I got permission to skip school and go to Sofia on the 3:45 a.m. bus because I had to get my flu shot -- thanks, Uncle Sam, for trying to protect me from Bird Flu. Once that business at the office was done, I met a friend of my Aunt Kay and he took me to lunch. We then headed over to the airport with my "Welcome to Bulgaria" signs in Bulgarian and English to meet my guests. They arrived and we literally *packed* ourselves into his hatchback (the bad news: there were 9 suitcases that weighed roughly 300 lbs. for us to lug across the country. the good news: I now have winter clothing and will not freeze to death. Plus, I can make rockin' sugar cookies.)

They got their first taste of my Bulgarian skills when I had to fight with the folks on the bus to let us board and go to Plovidv. Ivcho (the aformentioned friend of my Aunt Kay) was there to help, but I don't mind saying I was suprisingly forceful in demeanor and speech. Needless to say, we made it to Plovidv, I organized our *two* taxis to the hotel, and there we all crashed.

The next morning we set out for the center of the city and killed some time waiting for former language trainer/current friend Ivan. He took us to a very nice, very traditional Bulgarian eating hole and after close to 3 hours of meal, he suggested going for a cup of coffee. As mom and Aunt Kay found, "going for coffee" actually meant taking a tour of Old Town Plovdiv, hiking to the top of the hill, wandering back down, and THEN drinking some coffee. But, it was good for them.

By the evening we crashed again in the hotel and prepared for an early day. Sunday was Krichim Day, probably the most important day of their visit for everyone involved.

At 6:30 a.m. we lugged our stuff to the bus station, left it in the luggage room (man, THAT woman did not like me much...though I TOLD her the day before that I had, "Nine really big bags.") We grabbed a bus to K-Town, and they met my "Family Phase 2."

Though I have always known the great hospitality of my "family" in Krichim, I could not have imagined the depths of it which they showed towards my biological family. I know life has been trying since I left, but on that day there were no shadows of problems. Oktai was back to being the Oktai I had known before his illness -- wild, loving, absolutely hyperactive and adorable. With him in high spirits, it seemed all the wear on Atidje and Berin had been alleviated, and life was just as it had been. Ati slipped into the role of dear friend, and Berin the role of beloved kid sister. Only Ozhgun seemed altered, pained. (Later that day she had a tooth pulled, which I am sure played some role in that.) From what I hear, she is working far too much at the moment.

Anyway, the whole day involved food, going na gosti, more food, and lots and lots of talking (which I was left to translate, except when Oktai told me to shut up and he acted it out for himself. I now realize how I survived in that house before I could utter a single word.)

Unfortunately, we had a bus to catch. Ati and Oktai dropped us at the bus station, and proceeded to follow the bus to the edge of town, waving. I really need to get back there soon.

By 10 we were in Yambol, dear Rosie and lifesaving Nikolai got us from the bus station in a station wagon, and we ended the day at home in Straldja.

The following days included me teaching, mom and Aunt Kay teaching, and na gostis at Rosie's, Nikolai's restaraunt, and Binka's restaraunt. Actually, the most consistant theme in the week was food.

I took them exploring in the town, and to the Black Sea. I took them to my apartment to play on the internet, and I took them to Sliven for an afternoon. They got me a coffee maker and then used it to make American-style coffee for themselves (Aunt Kay was not in love with the Bulgarian variation of the beverage.)

On Friday, after school, we took a train back to Sofia and Ivcho again met us and took us to yet another very traditional Bulgarian meal. Our hotel was nice, if not slightly sterile (though with down comforters, I don't think I can complain much.) Sunday was a trip to the Rila Monastery, my first time, and we really dug the fresh mountain air. In the evening I took them to sites in the center of the city, and they packed for their trip home.

When 5:15 a.m. came, we loaded into a taxi (yes, we finally fit in one!) and headed to the airport. After a short goodbye, they went through the security checkpoint and I got in another cab to go back to the hotel, where I slept a little more and then checked out.

I passed the day as I usually do in Sofia--sitting at some cafe, emailing in the Peace Corps office, etc. I took the 3:30 p.m. bus home, and here I have been since.

Today was a typical Monday with the added work of an observation by my PC boss and several meetings about his observations. Now I am relaxing and readjusting to my "normal life" here.

No comments: